S.A.B.S

VIMALAMATHA PROVINCE THAMARASSERY

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

PROVIANCES

VIMALAMATHA PROVIANCE
THAMARASSERY

Message of the Provincial Superior

As Adoration sisters, you must ardently try to make the Eucharistic Lord known, loved and Adored by all, always and everywhere”. This was our Founder’s desire and all our activities are directed towards this aim. Communion has been celebrated by virtually every branch of Christianity over the last 2000 years. Some call it the Eucharist, others the Lords Supper and others Communion.

VIMALAMATHA PROVIANCE
THAMARASSERY

History

The origin of Thamarassery province is closely connected with the history of Thalassery Province. During the years that followed the World War II, groups of Catholic families from Kottayam and Alappuzha districts migrated to Malabar, seeking virgin land for cultivation. As most of the families belonged to the Syro-Malabar Church, the authorities decided to have a Syro-Malabar Diocese for the Malabar region in 1953. Vatican appointed Bishop Sebastian Vallopilly from Palai as the first Bishop of the new diocese

Our Patron

Historically, devotion to Mary Most Holy in the form of her Immaculate Heart first occurs in the thirteenth century with St. Mechtilde, St. Gertrude, St. Bernardine of Siena and others. In the seventeenth century, St. Francis de Sales was an exponent of this devotion. But it was St. John Eudes the great apostle of the Immaculate Heart (1601-1680), who gave the decisive impulse to the practice.   In the same century, the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus came to light through St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, and her confessor, St. Claude de La Colombiere. As the devotion to the Sacred Heart spread, so did the devotion to the Immaculate Heart. Both St. Margaret Mary and St. Claude, were deeply dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary as well.   

Mile Stones of Vimala Matha Province Thamarassery

Date

Speciality

09 June 1957

Pala unit starts convents in Thalassery, first house at Little Flower Convent Pulloorampara at Thamarassery

1957

Starting of St. Mary’s Convent Marudhomkara

10 June 1993

Erection of Udaya Region Thamarassery

1 June 1997

Starting of Jai Rani Sabs Public School Balussery

  

1 June 2000

Starting of Amar Jyothi Special School Korangad

17 January 2004

Erection of Vimala Matha Province, Thamarassery

8 December 2008

Centenary celebration of SABS Congregation

  

8 September 2016

Blessing of foundation stone for the newly built Provincial house Thamarassery

31 January 2018

Blessing of newly built Provincial House Thamarassery

DEVELOPMENT THROUGH THE YEARS

Mother Imelda (1967-1970)

In 1967 Malabar became an independent province and Mother Imelda was elected as the first provincial of St. Joseph Province, Thalasserry. Then Mother General, Mother Espirit directed the growth of the new province with a maternal heart and filial love. Local vocation increased and the superiors decided to give formation to the candidates in Malabar itself.

 Mother Eucharist (1970-1972)

The provincial Synaxis met in 1970 under Mother Espirit elected Mother Eucharist as the second Provincial superior and Sr. Hosanna, Sr. Ligori and Sr. Peter Paschal as Councillors. Due to ill health, Mother Eucharist resigned in two years and Sr. Hosanna carried out the responsibilities of the provincial superior.

Statistics

STATISTICS July 2018

Name of the province

Vimala Matha Province Thamarassery

Total Number of Convents

22

Total No. of Sisters

125

Perpetually Professed Sisters

115